Job Requirements

Different jobs have different requirements. But in Timmins, you usually need a Social Insurance Number (SIN), knowledge of English and/or French, and Canadian work experience.

Social Insurance Number (SIN)

Knowledge of English and/or French

Canadian Work Experience

Social Insurance Number (SIN)

The Government of Canada, through Service Canada, issues Social Insurance Numbers (SINs) to keep track of all Canadian workers. You must have a SIN to work in Canada.

You can apply for a Social Insurance Number in one of two ways:

In person at your local Service Canada Centre

Simply gather the documents you need and take them to your nearest Service Canada Centre. If your application and documents are in order, you will get a Social Insurance Number in one visit and receive your card within 10 business days.

Timmins Service Canada Centre
120 Cedar Street S
Timmins, Ontario
P4N M25

Timmins Service Canada Centre for Youth (SCCY)
Timcor Building,
Suite 300 273 Third Avenue Timmins,
Ontario P4N 1E2

By Mail

If you need to apply by mail, please follow these steps:

Downloadan application form from the Service Canada website or order theformbyphoneat 1-800-206-7218. Select Option "3".

Send your completed application, original documents and payment, if required,to:

Service Canada
Social Insurance Registration Office
P.O. Box 7000
Bathurst, New Brunswick
E2A 4T1

Knowledge of English and/or French

For most jobs in Timmins, you must speak French or English. For some jobs, you need to speak both. There are organizations that offer training in English and French as a Second Language.

VisitCollege Boreal to find out where you can learn French as a Second Language.

Canadian Work Experience

As a newcomer, you likely have no Canadian work experience. A great way to meet this requirement is to volunteer in your chosen field. Volunteering lets you gain local work experience while practicing your English language skills, and can sometimes lead to paid employment.